Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tony Awards - In the Heights

Okay, I stayed up waaaay too late last night watching Tony Awards performances on YouTube.  I couldn't help it, it's impossible to just watch one. 

Anyway, I re-fell in love with "In the Heights."  It's the 2008 Best New Musical winner about my neighborhood, so obviously I love it for that reason...but mostly I just love it because it's awesome.  It opened in 2008 while I was still at Baylor, and I obsessively listened to the cast recording until I actually moved to the Heights in 2009.  When I finally saw it on Broadway, it didn't disappoint, and I think I saw it four times before it closed this past January.

It's a great story about acceptance and respect for others, and learning to love yourself and your life right where you are.  And the dancing and music are amazing.  Even though you can't see it on Broadway anymore, you can get a sense of how terrific it is through their Tony Award performance.  And don't worry, sometimes I wander around my neighborhood dancing and singing these songs, just to keep the spirit alive.  Just kidding...kind of :)



PS-The non-equity tour of "In the Heights" just started in October and I'm sure they are incredible.  They'll be performing in Tyler at the UTT Cowan Center on December 3rd.  All my east Texas people should go see it!!

http://www.intheheightsontour.com/

1 comment:

  1. It is one of my favorite Broadway musicals, more so because I saw it with you! I am glad we were in the front row in case you needed to jump up on stage to take someone's place. Only 4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete