Friday, November 18, 2011

ABC's of NYC

I wish I could take credit for this cute photo idea, but I can’t.  I saw a similar project in an issue of DIY magazine and decided to give it my own spin with the ABC’s of NYC.  I can’t seem to find the issue that has this particular craft, but if I find it I’ll update this post with that info…
I got a cheap black frame from Michael’s and cut a piece of white poster board to fit inside.  Then I took ABC stencils and spaced and cut them out evenly in the frame.  I thought of an iconic New York symbol to go with each letter and then found a black and white picture of each to go behind their respective letter.  There were a few letters that didn’t have a good picture, so I filled those in with red scrapbook paper.  I think it turned out pretty cute!


A-     is for apple (couldn’t find a normal looking picture!)

B-      is for bridge (in Central Park)

C-      is for Chinatown

D-     is for dance

E-      is for Empire State building

F-      is for ?

G-     is for Grand Central Station

H-     is for Hudson River

I-        is for I Heart NY

J-       is for jazz (that’s a picture of the Apollo Theatre in Harlem)

K-      is for ?

L-       is for Lady Liberty

M-   is for musicals (of course!)

N-     is for nighttime skyline

O-     is for Opera

P-      is for ?

Q-     is for Queensboro Bridge

R-      is for Radio City Music Hall

S-      is for subways

T-      is for Times Square

U-     is for Upper West Side (my favorite neighborhood)

V-     is for view

W-   is for Washington Heights (my neighborhood—that’s the George Washington Bridge)

X-      is for ?

Y-      is for yellow taxi cabs

Z-      is for Zabars

3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea. How big is your frame? I think a smaller version of this would be perfect for your S book. Is this hanging in your room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The frame is about 2ft by 3ft. No, it's actually in the kitchen. Am and I really want to do the kitchen/living room/dining room red, black, and white NY themed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO doing this for LA!!! -Jodi

    ReplyDelete