Thursday, November 10, 2011

The (dreaded) Gym

I have today off so I had a nice, lazy morning.  And then I went to the gym.  Oh, the gym.  What can I say about the gym?  We have a love/hate relationship, that’s for sure.  I love it because it’s really cheap and has a lot of treadmills.  I hate it…because, well, it’s the gym.  After I’m finished working out I’m always so glad I went, but man, getting there is like pulling teeth.
Surprisingly, I’ve been going to the gym a lot this year.  One of my New Year’s resolutions was to run a 5K in under 30 minutes.  That probably sounds lame to my amazing (no sarcasm) runner friends, but it is so tough for me!  I’m getting closer to the pace I need to maintain, but I can’t hold it for the entire run.  I like to blame my slow running pace on my short legs (although I know it has more to do with my desire to sleep in instead of going to the gym).

Even though 2011 is almost over, I’m determined to accomplish this resolution!  I don’t even care if I have to reach this goal on a gym treadmill instead of in an actual race, I am going to do it!

So anyway, that’s that.  I felt like I just had to put it in writing in order to make sure I follow through. :/  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Why is it so hard to get motivated about exercise? Maybe because it is WORK!! It is all I can do to make myself go to my twice a week class. I am, however, pretty good about walking outside every morning, but now it is getting COLD! You can do it, just like you have accomplished everything else you have ever wanted in your life. Love you, GM

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the 5K, it helps me if I start easy and then build effort throughout. Break up your 5K into sections and set an effort level for each section: 10% effort, 20 %, and so forth. If I tried to maintain the same pace throughout, I think I'd just get slower and slower. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. GM-I love seeing you walk by when I'm home :)

    Matt-Good advice, thanks! And maybe if the run is in sections, it will mentally seem more doable.

    ReplyDelete