Friday, November 11, 2011

I Love Ray Bolger


Last night I watched The Harvey Girls for the first time.  I have always loved the music, but never seen the whole film.  It’s a 1946 movie musical about the Harvey House Restaurants that opened along the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroad line in the late 1800’s.  I won’t go on and on about the whole history of the Harvey restaurants, but it’s pretty interesting.  Basically, Fred Harvey began opening these restaurants in rugged, “wild West” towns so railway passengers heading west would have “civilized” places to eat.  And each restaurant was staffed by “Harvey girls.”  They had to be young, attractive women who committed to waitressing at these middle-of-nowhere restaurants for at least a year.

The film was cute, although the plot was a little slow.  But that doesn’t matter, because Judy Garland is the star!  I have always loved Judy Garland, and she is just as fabulous as ever in this movie.
But on to the best thing ever!  My favorite part of the movie, hands down, is Ray Bolger’s tap solo.  He is the absolute epitome of the saying “light on your feet.”  I was in love with him when I was little because he played the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz.  And watching The Harvey Girls made me love him all over again.  Actually, this dance reminds me of him as the Scarecrow.  It has the same type of characterizations.  Take a look!
My favorite part is 1:26 :)  Love him!!!

4 comments:

  1. Do you remember that I am named after Judy Garland? He was my daddy's favorite too and her career was at the top when I was born. GM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the tap dance!! GM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You finally saw it! Yay! soo cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. GM-Yes, I do remember that you are named for Judy Garland. I have to say that YOU are my favorite Judy <3

    Lee Lee-Yes and I was thinking of you during the "Old Old Old" song haha. We are so NOT old :)

    ReplyDelete