Thursday, November 17, 2011

Meet Scooter!

WARNING:  This is a crazy cat lady-ish post.  Below are many pictures of my cat.  There's still time to turn back.  :)

In early July I was at the East Harlem Target (I’m pretty much obsessed and there every weekend…it’s so much nicer than the Bronx Target!) and decided to also go into PetSmart to look at the adoptable cats.  I immediately saw, and fell in love with Scooter.  He was the only orange cat, and I am a total sucker for orange kitties.  I really wanted to adopt him, but knew I had to wait because one of my roommates was allergic to cats.  So I snapped a picture for remembrance but basically tried to put him out of my mind.
Scooter in his PetSmart cage

In late August, my allergic roomie decided to move out.  I was sad (and still am) because we loved living with her, but since she left, I decided to go ahead and adopt a cat.  On a whim I checked the website of the adoption agency that Scooter was a part of, Anjellicle Cats RescueI couldn’t believe it, but he was still available for adoption, and living in a foster home (all PetSmart animals were relocated during Hurricane Irene).  I put in my application, went to visit him, and a week later had him in my apartment!

His story is kind of sad and kind of amazing.  His owners of three years took him to Animal Care and Control (the NYC kill shelter) because they couldn’t afford to take care of him anymore.  He was put on the shelter’s kill list, and was supposed to be put to sleep on June 29th.  For some reason, they skipped him, and he was rescheduled to be put down on June 30th—and that’s the day Anjellicle Cats Rescue saved him!  Anjellicle Cats is an amazing organization.  They save cats from the euth list and are “no kill” which means all cats rescued by them stay with the organization until being adopted.  If you are in NYC and want to adopt a cat, I highly recommend going through them.  They are wonderful! 

It took Scooter a while to really trust me once he arrived, but he is doing so great.  He is so funny and has quite a strong personality.  If he thinks I’ve missed breakfast or dinner time, he lets the whole neighborhood know about it—he has a very powerful meow.  He is always sitting at the front door when I come home from work, and even though he hates being held, he’s usually so excited to see me that he’ll tolerate it for a few minutes :)  He is enormous—14 pounds, but not fat at all…it’s sort of like living with a little lion.
Caught him red handed

He watches Glee every Tuesday

If I'm trying to work on something, you can bet he'll be right in the middle of it

I just love him!  Thanks, Anjellicle Cats Rescue!


2 comments:

  1. OK, crazy cat lady, I did not know the story about Scooter almost being put to sleep. Who is his favorite character on Glee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story is crazy, huh? I'm so glad he was saved. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him and he's so young! Hard to believe he was almost put to sleep...
    He loves Puck the most, of course :)

    ReplyDelete