Monday, January 30, 2012

Manicure Monday: Recycled eyeshadow edition

Today's Manicure Monday is kind of a strange one...

A few weeks ago I was watching a money saving beauty segment on the Rachael Ray show.  It was sort of interesting until her guest started talking about how you can make nail polish out of your old eyeshadow.  Then it got really interesting!  Whaaat, craftiness and nail polish?!  Of course, I had to try it :)

I got these cute little Wet & Wild eyeshadows for super cheap, but the colors are so bright that I hardly ever use them as eyeshadow. What better to try and turn into nail polish?

So I used a paintbrush to loosen the shadow and brushed it onto a paper plate.

Then just add some clear polish (fewer drops=opaque & more drops=sheer)...

Mix with your paintbrush...and start painting!

***disclaimer*** I painted these quickly so the polish wouldn't dry up on the plate, so the application is sloppy.

Here's the first set of eyeshadow polishes, "I'm Feeling Retro."  I mixed these first and used a lot of clear, so it took about four coats to build up the color.


And this is "Spoiled Brat."  I used a lot more shadow for these, and I really like the way it turned out.

It was so interesting to paint with these.  I didn't expect these to go on as smoothly as regular polish, but they really did.  Actually, the formula on these was better than the formula for some of my normal polishes.  I had a lot of fun mixing and painting with eyeshadow, but it's definitely not something I would do often...because it's a giant pain.  But I'm glad I tried it!

3 comments:

  1. U r so creative!Who would ever think this would work ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how this wears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only wore it for a few hours because I only did three nails on each hand :) But it had the exact same consistency (wet and dry) as normal polish. So I think it would wear really well, especially with a good topcoat.

    ReplyDelete